What is this medicine used for?
- Metformin is indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to lower blood glucose in type 2 diabetes patients whose hyperglycemia cannot be controlled by diet and exercise alone.
- Metformin can be used alone or in combination with other oral antidiabetic agents or with insulin.
How much and how often should you use this medicine?
Dosage of Metformin HCI must be individualized on the basis of both effectiveness and tolerance but should not exceed 2550 mg/ day.
Metformin HCl 500 mg Tablet:
Usual starting dose: 500 mg every 12 hours, given with or after meals
Dosage increases should be made in increments of 500 mg every week, given in divided doses up to a maximum of 2000 mg/day.
Metformin HCl 850 mg Tablet:
Usual starting dose: 850 mg once a day, given with or after meals
Dosage increases should be made in increments of 850 mg every other week, given in divided doses, up to a maximum of 2550 mg/day.
Usual maintenance dose: 850 mg twice a day, with or after meals. When necessary, patients may be given 850 mg three times a day with meals.
Dosage can also be increased from 500 twice a day to 850 mg twice a day after 2 weeks. For those patients requiring additional glycemic control, Metformin HCI may be given to a maximum daily dose of 2550 mg per day. Doses above 2000 mg may be better tolerated given three times a day with meals.
Metformin HCI should be given in divided doses with meals and should be started at a low dose, with gradual dose escalation, both to reduce gastrointestinal side effects and to permit identification of the minimum dose required for adequate glycemic control of the patient.
- Hypersensitivity to Metformin or any other ingredient of the product
- History of asthma or allergic reactions with aspirin or other NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen, Mefenamic acid and Naproxen
- Metoprolol, Propranolol: increased frequency and severity of extreme lowering of blood sugar
- Metformin HCl 500 mg Tablet – Box of 100’s (in flex foil by 4’s)
- Metformin HCl 850 mg Tablet – Box of 100’s (in flex foil by 4’s)