What is this medicine used for?
Adjunctive therapy for osteoarthritis.
How much and how often should you use this medicine?
Directions for Use: Dissolve entire contents of one sachet (1.5 g) in a full glass of warm water (250 mL) and stir. Drink the full dose.
Usual Adult Dose: Contents of one sachet (1.5 g) once a day, or, as directed by a physician.
- Glucosamine Sulfate is not indicated for the treatment of acute painful syndromes.
- • Relief of symptoms (especially pain relief) may not be experienced until after some weeks of treatment or sometimes even longer. If no relief of symptoms is experienced after 2 to 3 months, continued treatment with Glucosamine should be re-evaluated.
- Hypersensitivity to Glucosamine or to any ingredient in the product.
- Allergy to shellfish since Glucosamine is obtained from shellfish.
- Patients in the first 3 months of pregnancy
Warnings and Precautions
- This product contains potassium, thus, it should be given with caution to patients with congestive heart failure or renal failure. Caution should also be exercised when administering to patients taking potassium supplements and potassium-sparing diuretics (e.g., Spironolactone, Triamterene).
- A physician should be consulted to rule out the presence of other joint diseases for which other treatments should be considered.
- Glucosamine treats the underlying cause of osteoarthritis and the therapeutic effect can only be seen after 2 to 3 weeks. An analgesic/anti-inflammatory drug may be advised by a physician during the first 2 to 3 weeks of glucosamine therapy.
- Administration to patients with severe hepatic or renal disease should be made under medical supervision.
- Patients with type 2 diabetes and those who are overweight and have problems with glucose tolerance should have their blood glucose levels carefully monitored if they use Glucosamine since Glucosamine may increase insulin resistance.
- A case of exacerbated asthma symptoms triggered after initiation of Glucosamine has been reported, although symptoms resolved after Glucosamine withdrawal. Asthmatic patients starting on Glucosamine therapy should be aware of possible worsening of asthma symptoms
- 1.5 g Powder for Oral Solution